Monday, July 25, 2011

Long Day at the Office ... Garage

Got there bright and early today, figured I might as well get as much done on this jalopy while I have the time. I noticed the slightest tinge of orange finding it's way back onto the fender I just finished sanding down, so I guess it's time to stop that rust dead in it's tracks! I hit the doors with just a Rustoleum converter, just to really stop the rusting process while I'm working on the rest of the truck. I was made aware today that I'll probably have to strip that back off when it comes time to paint, to make sure the lacquer of auto body paint adheres properly. As long as it doesn't get worse while I'm working on it, it definitely can't get any worse than it was when I started!! I'd just hate to be back at square one again in a few weeks.

Note to self, next time I restore a vehicle, start with a wire wheel. OMG that thing worked miracles today. Took about an inch and a half of grime out of my door jambs, so clean you could eat off em! That was my best friend for majority of the day, aside from some minor sanding and priming. Using the power drill that once belonged to my great grandfather! The drill is actually older than the truck I'm fixing up - crazy huh? And my nephew came into the garage today and said "Aunt Kimmie has a hair dryer." No buddy, that's just a really old & yet shiny drill.

I can't NOT tell you about the gauges I finally extracted today. Two side by sides in the dash. One speedometer and the other for gas, temp, etc. One of them looked spectacular when I got it cleaned up. The other literally disintegrated in my hand. The gentle afternoon breeze managed to blow all of the numbers off my speedometer! Seriously, how am I supposed to know how fast I'm going? Not to mention the needle crumbled into a fine powder. I just added a gauge cluster to my list of things to look for at a swap meet.

Another ah-ha moment was just a few minutes ago when I got out of the shower and noticed the black ring around the tub & all over my white towels. Yes, I said black on the towels AFTER I got out of the shower. Does this stuff ever come off? No those aren't tan lines around my ankles that's the layer of filth over my socks. Mind you, I've come home with every body fluid you could possibly think of after a good trauma - blood, brains, vomit, urine, poop, etc. This was after I sat at my parents' house for a few hours occasionally getting a whiff of something nasty. I thought maybe I stepped in something on the way over. Then I'd move across the kitchen and still smell it. Thought it was my brother's sneakers. Unless his sneakers followed me into the car and all the way home, I'm pretty sure that stench was coming from me! This auto thing is quite a dirty job. Where are you Mike Rowe? I learned my lesson.

No comments: