Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mid Week Update

Took a break on Wednesday from working on the truck and ridiculously missed it. I'm guess that makes me a wrench wench. Worked a bit on Tuesday, mostly priming and undercoating what I've already worked on so it doesn't rerust so quickly. Tuesday night Jenna & I did a drive by at the "ski" Bald Hill cruise night. Nothing good there, just a bunch of loud mufflers and pumping bass. Last night I drove out to Deer Park to check out some of the classic cars there. Saw a 67 Chevy truck & talked to a few guys who were able to give me some information - he helped me understand my engine a little better. At least now I can name parts but understanding how they work is another story.

Then I met up with my brother and his posse so we could try an experiment. Saw it on You Tube that if you hook up a battery charger to a piece of metal and the other end to your rusty part, then soak it in baking soda, the process is called electrolysis and it removes the rust easily! We tried it and it started working, but the boys were hungry and they flat left me in the garage to go to Taco Bell. Apparently food is more important to boys than any experiment of mine.

Got to the garage about noon today and started to take off the frame supports of the front end and radiator so I could get at the engine. It was about time we see just how bad this heart disease really is. Under the rotted valve cover, which was pretty easy to remove, were a bunch of rusted springs with nesting and mouse poop all in between. Found a few bones in there too! Seriously, there are bones everywhere in this truck - what on earth was living in there? I vacuumed it all out and got it as clean as I could. Believe it or not, the spark plugs were protected very well and were clean! The oil in the carburetor didn't look half as bad as I though it would. The guy I met last night was explaining to me about how to take a bar thingy and stick it in other thingy and see if it turns freely. However I forgot the name of the bar thingy and obviously didn't have one handy. So, I still don't know if it turns. I got it all cleaned up and ready though, so whoever the first one to show up with the tool for my socket can feel free to crank my engine!

I spent the rest of the time sanding and re-sanding the hood that already flash rusted on me. Got that primed and out of the way now. Spent a few more hours sanding down the rust on the corner of the cab and removed the other half of the windshield. Truck is starting to look so bare now and I'm running out of room to store parts! I have the hub caps soaking in cleaner and I'm curious to see how they'll turn out tomorrow. One of them didn't match the other three. I'm gonna take it with me to the swap meet when I go and see if I can "swap it." What a concept!

Did a drive by at the Oakdale cruise night to look for a truck like mine, no luck. Still looking to make a friend somewhere on this flippin island who has the same truck as me! I need to see that the vision I have in my head is in any way, shape or form - possible! I'm now showered and cleaned off, getting ready for bed. Back to the garage in the morning.

No comments: