Monday, July 4, 2011

Purchase Day

You Bought What??

I've always been fascinated by old things and I'm convinced my past life must have been within the previous two or three generations. More specifically, I'm drawn to rusty old gas pumps and abandoned trucks. Really, who else do you know with a mural on the wall of their grandfather handing them a Hess Truck? Of course, complete with a gas station scene and pump on the opposite wall! Something I've always wanted to do is ride around in an old truck. Instead of keeping it a dream, I'm making it a reality. The decision was really between a 1949 Studebaker and a 1949-53 Chevy. I found a 1950 Chevy 3100 1/2 Ton Pickup on Craig's List. On the Fourth of July, my brother Joe & I drove out to Plumsted, New Jersey, to take a look at it. Spoke to the seller, "John," on the phone a few days before. He told me that it was his son's bright idea to restore an old truck. That was 25 years ago and the truck has been sitting in his yard ever since, completely untouched. When we got to Knox Farm in Plumsted to look at it, John left out the part that there were 44 other trucks in his backyard just like it! He had practically every make & model of cars and trucks I could think of. As we took the tour to the sound of gobbling turkeys, he walked us down the hill, over the bridge and through the creek. He showed us cars with live frogs under the hood and trees growing through the floorboards. I even saw a hint of a '47 Ford peeking through the bushes. It was a graveyard for the souls of old cars. Now I've moved onto automobile genealogy! Anyway, I fell in love with the truck and left him a deposit. Now the only obstacle was figuring out how to get it home!

No comments: